Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is AMA Style?
The AMA Manual of Style provides detailed guidelines on authorship, conflicts of interest, scientific misconduct, intellectual property, and the protection of individuals' rights in scientific research and publication as well as citations and manuscript preparation. AMA Style is the preferred citation style for the medical, social sciences and scientific publishing communities.
Use the link below to access the manual online.
AMA Manual of Style Online
Written by an expert committee of JAMA and Archives editors, the AMA Manual of Style thoroughly covers ethical and legal issues, authorship, conflicts of interest, scientific misconduct, and intellectual property, in addition to preparation of articles for publication, style, terminology, measurement, and quantitation.
Names of all authors should be given unless there are more than 6, in which case the names of the first 3 authors are used, followed by “et al.”
Print Journal Article:
- Author(s). Article title. Journal Name Abbreviation. Year;vol(issue no.): pages.
- Example: Rainier S, Thomas D, Tokarz D, et al. Myofibrillogenesis regulator 1 gene mutations cause paroxysmal dystonic choreoathetosis. Arch Neurol. 2004;61(7):1025-1029.
Online Journal Article: Note that the DOI is preferred over a URL.
- Authors(s). Article title. Journal Name Abbreviation. Year;vol(issue no.): pages. DOI
- Example: Gasbarrini GB, Mangiola F, Gerardi V, Ianiro G, Corazza GR, Gasbarrini A. Coeliac disease: an old or a new disease? History of a pathology. Intern Emerg Med. 2014;9(3):249–256. doi:10.1007/s11739-013-1044-5
- Authors(s). Article title. Journal Name Abbreviation. Year;vol(issue no.): inclusive pages. Accessed [date]. URL
- Example: Gore D, Haji SA, Balashanmugam A, et al. Light and electron microscopy of macular corneal dystrophy: a case study. Digit J Ophthalmol. 2004;10. Accessed December 6, 2005. http://www.djo.harvard.edu/site.php?url=/physicians/oa/671
Entire Print Book:
- Author(s). Book Title. Edition number (if it is the second edition or above). Publisher; copyright year.
- Example: Modlin J, Jenkins P. Decision Analysis in Planning for a Polio Outbreak in the United States. Pediatric Academic Societies; 2004.
Chapter in a Print Book:
- Author(s). Chapter Title. In: Eidtor(s), eds. Book Title. Edition number (if it is the second edition or above). Publisher; copyright year: pages.
- Example: Solensky R. Drug allergy: desensitization and treatment of reactions to antibiotics and aspirin. In: Lockey P, ed. Allergens and Allergen Immunotherapy. 3rd ed. Marcel Dekker; 2004:585-606.
Chapter in an Online Book:
- Author(s). Chapter Title. In: Editor(s) eds. Book Title. Edition number e. (if it is the second edition or above; mention of first edition is not necessary) Publisher; copyright year. Accessed date. [provide URL and verify that the link still works as close as possible to the time of publication]
- Example: Sorkness CA, Blake KV. Asthma. In: DiPiro JT, Talbert RL, Yee GC, Matzke GR, Wells BG, Posey L. eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 10e. McGraw-Hill; 2017. Accessed July 16, 2020. https://accesspharmacy.mhmedical.com/Book.aspx?bookid=1861
Nutrition Care Manual (NCM), PNCM, & SNCM
Nutrition Care Manual:
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Name of the Manual. Page Title, including condition name. Accessed date. URL for specific page
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition Care Manual. Iron Deficiency Anemia, Nutrition Diagnosis. Accessed August 28, 2019. https://www.nutritioncaremanual.org/topic.cfm?ncm_category_id=1&lv1=5509&lv2=144930&lv3269530& ncm_toc_id=269530&ncm_heading=Nutrition%20Care
Drug name. Package insert. Manufacturer; publication(revision)date.
Example: IZstatFlu. Package insert. ZymeTx Inc; 2000.
Authors(s). Item title. Published [date]. Updated [date if available]. Accessed [date]. URL
Example: U.S. Department of Health, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert Panel Report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma - Summary Report 2007. Published October, 2007. Accessed October 24, 2012. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/asthsumm.htm
Author(s), if given (often, no authors are given). Title of the specific item cited (if none is given, use the name of the organization responsible for the site). Name of the website. [Date published]. Updated [date]. Accessed [date]. URL [provide URL and verify that the link still works as close as possible to publication]
- International Society for Infectious Diseases. ProMED-mail website. Accessed April 29, 2004. http://www.promedmail.org
- Interim guidance about avian influenza A (H5N1) for US citizens living abroad. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Updated November 18, 2005. Accessed December 6, 2005. http://www.cdc.gov/travel/other/avian_flu_ig_americans_ abroad_032405.htm